Good stuff for this Friday:
1. Work is definitely picking up. I heard from the headhunter; I got another project from yet another new client and will be getting a third soon; I might even be able to unload one client whose work is the most demanding and pays the least.
2. I got Chrossed today — always a happy thing for me.
3. I’m heading for my sweetie’s house in a few hours. Last weekend he was semi-crippled with a pulled back muscle, but now he’s much better and in good spirits.
4. I’m looking forward to another lovely Monday with Mr. D.
Things I do not want to think about:
1. What’s going on in Boston. I can’t deal with it. I was chatting with Mr. D earlier; he’s had the news channel on nonstop, and he was up on every detail. I can’t do that; I haven’t watched the news in days. It’s so damn depressing and scary and I know my mind will go to bad places if I don’t focus elsewhere. And once it goes there, it’s a downward spiral. The reports on the victims are heartbreaking and a sense of powerlessness and fear can loom very large.
2. The fact that hundreds of people, including many friends I adore, are currently convening in Atlantic City for Boardwalk Badness. Even though the party “officially” begins today, many have been there since Wednesday/yesterday, and already the tweets and photos and FetLife comments are showing up. It’s going to continue all weekend and into Monday, and then there will be at least a week of post-party reporting.
You know, I’m reading about people’s struggles with airports (delayed/cancelled flights), hassles with getting from the airport to the hotel, etc., and part of me is thinking, “I’m so glad I don’t have to deal with that stress.” But then I remember how the weekend is so well worth that stress. And I wish I could just blink my eyes or twitch my nose and be there.
Distract me, folks. Help me distract myself. Because I’ll be damned if I’m going to let my half-empty-glass personality bring me down when there is so much to be happy for right now.
Go spank/get spanked. Go hug your loved ones. And have a great weekend, y’all.