Borrowing this meme from Hermione, I challenged myself to come up with a list of 54 random things that make me feel happy. I liked reading her list and could see how compiling it would be a pleasant exercise in appreciation. So, here goes:
1. Silly, couple-y things between John and me, like our pet names and nonsense words.
2. Reading comments on my blog.
3. Cloudy, rainy days, especially when I am indoors and don’t have to go anywhere.
4. Freshly pedicured toenails.
5. Petting random dogs on the street (after getting an OK from the owners, of course)
6. Burrowing under piles of blankets.
7. Giving and receiving massages.
8. Tuesdays with Steve.
9. Watching (and rewatching, and rewatching) Dark Shadows.
10. Getting compliments on my writing.
11. The occasional deer sighting up in the canyons where John lives.
12. Purring cats.
13. Beatles songs.
14. Bewitched episodes with Dick York (the original Darrin).
15. Snuggling, cuddling, spooning. Love body contact.
16. When a man cups my face in his hand.
17. Beethoven’s 7th symphony.
18. Finding the name of a song I’ve heard and liked, just by typing a lyric into Google.
19. Finding and downloading said song on iTunes. Gone are the days where I had to buy an entire album for one song, and hope I liked the rest of it.
20. Opening a new box of See’s candy and getting the first choice.
21. Quiet neighbors.
22. Good hair days.
23. Vine-ripened tomatoes.
24. Friends who accept and accommodate my various food oddities without making me feel, well, odd.
25. Waitstaff who get special orders and substitutions right.
26. Drivers who hang back and let me into a crowded lane.
27. Giving a random compliment to a stranger and watching their face light up.
28. Gatherings of spanko friends.
29. Classic movie musicals (e.g., Singin’ in the Rain).
30. People who know the difference between i.e. and e.g.
31. Big bouquets of colorful flowers.
32. Wearing red.
33. Wearing my stepmother’s beautiful necklace. I guess it’s mine now, but I’ll always think of it as hers.
34. The joy of hanging out with girlfriends, laughing and chatting and sharing.
35. The post-spanking bubble of bliss.
36. Burying my face in John’s sweet-smelling hair.
37. Seeing a picture of myself that I actually like.
38. Playing Scrabble.
39. Working crossword puzzles.
40. Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker ballet.
41. That moment during a workout when the endorphins kick in.
42. German chocolate cake at Aroma Café.
43. Starchy comfort food — bread, potatoes, pasta, pancakes.
44. Books that are so well written and captivating, I hate to put them down and can’t wait to pick them up again.
45. Being Chrossed.
46. Watching The Big Bang Theory.
47. Marx Brothers movies.
48. Warm, thick socks when my feet are cold.
49. Kisses, all kinds.
50. Random acts of kindness, just because.
51. Putting my body and psyche into my top’s hands and knowing I am safe.
52. The I Love Lucy “Vitameatavegemin” episode.
53. Weird Al Yankovic parodies.
54. Feeling like I belong, and that I matter. 🙂
Have a great weekend, y’all.